Once upon a time I used to remember things.
Little things, like where I leave my keys, what I ate for breakfast and how to match my shoes to my shirt.
These days I am lucky to be dressed, at all!
There is nothing that can prepare you for this severe memory lapse, not even the world’s best organizer.
It’s no joke people. It’s the truth!
When your friend that has kids doesn’t call you back, it’s probably because she forgot due to one of the million things that are going on in her mind, so try and give her some slack.
In fact, I just started writing this article and have almost forgotten what it’s about!
Mommy brain is a condition that develops in the first few months of pregnancy and continues throughout the rest of your life.
The sheer idea of carrying a child in ones body can be quite overwhelming and thought consuming.
Here is a list of things that you have to think about when pregnant and when raising children:
- what you can and cannot eat
- what you can and cannot do
- the products you need to avoid
- the activities you need to temper
- all of the new things you need to purchase
- learning how to take care of a child!!!
- how to raise a normal human being
- what is safe to feed my kids
- what are the most stimulating activities out there
- when is that dentist appointment
- how do I get this one to dance and that one to soccer practice at the same time when they are 10 miles away from each other
- what’s for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- is this poisonous
- is this organic, locally grown, and healthy
This list can go on for a very long time but you get the drift.
Now imagine trying to keep up with this demanding list everyday for the rest of your life.
Remembering trivial things takes a backseat in your mind because you simply don’t have the mental ability to keep up with it all.
Don’t feel bad about it though.
It’s lifes way of forcing you to forget about inconcequential things in order to focus on the more important things, like when to feed your baby.
Sure, you may forget to pick Joey up at soccer practice from time to time but it’s natural and you shouldn’t beat yourself up about it too much.
Consider yourself a MOMBIE; a mom plus zombie. It’s all worth it when you get to cuddle up to this little person who has stripped you of your short term memory for the rest of your life.